A watershed is any river, gully, canyon or pathway that drains to the ocean. Watersheds are everywhere and anything on land can find its way to the ocean via a watershed. This means that if you throw something on the ground it may eventually end up in the ocean. Drop a cigarette butt or plastic fork, and it will end up in the ocean, on our beaches, or in the stomach of a fish, sea bird or other marine animal.
It's up to you to make the right choices and protect our watersheds, oceans, beaches and marine life. Here are 10 ways you can help:
- Always pick up your pet's waste.
- Rake up and discard yard clippings. Do not let them get washed away with the next rains.
- Always dispose of your cigarette butts properly.
- Do not use a hose to water down your driveway. This wastes a lot of water and also drains the oil and other pollutants from our cars into the watershed. Use a broom instead.
- Plant native and if necessary drought resistant plants.
- Always dispose of motor oil properly at an approved collection and recycling facility.
- Join in at beach clean ups or pick up trash whenever you can and dispose of it properly.
- Excess fertilizer is often washed away into the watershed with watering or rain. Reduce the amount of fertilizer you use.
- Reduce the amount of single-use plastic. Use reusable shopping bags for your groceries. Do not buy bottled water.
- Get a personalized travel mug and remember to bring it with you whenever you visit a coffee shop. Do not use a disposable coffee cup, plastic coffee cup lid or cardboard sleeve. This is all waste!
To see more pics of the race click here.
Next year we will be back to race again. Why don't you plan to put a team together to challenge us?
Have a great week and reduce the waste.